Wednesday, September 14, 2011

94 Suburban with MSD Ignition, do I need special spark plugs?

I just bought a 1994 suburban and the owner told me he had an msd ignition. Does that type of ignition need special spark plugs or can I use stock? Also, there was a performance head and cam installed, so how does this affect the gap for the spark plugs?

If anyone can help me please let me know. I'm not a mechanic and don't have the money right now to have someone service it, so i'm doing it myself.94 Suburban with MSD Ignition, do I need special spark plugs?Since both the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) (GM) and the MSD are High Energy Ignition systems (HEI), then my guess is that you'd best use the same spark plugs specified in your car's owner's manual. However, you could also check the MSD website and see what tech support information they have.

If the past owner installed platinum spark plugs (compare to your owner's manual), then they should be good for 80,000 miles assuming you haven't had one fail. Make sure the spark plug wires were changed when the MSD was installed.94 Suburban with MSD Ignition, do I need special spark plugs?pull one of the plugs, check the gap, use that as a baseline, tune as needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment