Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I access the rear spark plugs on a 2002 Ford Taurus; 6-cyl.?

2002 Ford Taurus; 6-cyl.; 3.0L

The rear plugs are buried and incredibly difficult to get to without removing parts -- but what and how exactly do I need to remove?How do I access the rear spark plugs on a 2002 Ford Taurus; 6-cyl.?What engine is the Taurus equipped with? Is it the 3.0L OHV V6 (eighth digit of VIN 'U'), or the 3.0L Duratec DOHC 24-valve V6 (eighth digit of VIN 'S')? If it's the 3.0L OHV V6, access should be relatively straightforward. You may need to use a short extension and a swivel type socket, but it's still fairly easily accessible. If you are referring to the 3.0L Duratec engine, you need to unbolt the upper intake plenum to access spark plugs to bank #1. Doing so is a relatively simple task. Just remember to unbolt the EGR tube first. Hope this helps.



ADDED: As I've advised, you will need to remove the upper intake plenum to access the spark plugs on bank #1 cylinders The only tools needed for this are a 5/16%26quot; socket with suitable extension and 10mm for the two EGR valve bolts if you don't have the 1-1/16%26quot; wrench for the EGR tube. The gaskets between the two should be reusable, unless it is absolutely oil soaked and squished, which even if, they aren't expensive.How do I access the rear spark plugs on a 2002 Ford Taurus; 6-cyl.?You're Welcome. Glad to be of help. I told you it was simple.

Report Abuse

How do I access the rear spark plugs on a 2002 Ford Taurus; 6-cyl.?Before you remove parts try going in through the wheel well. On some cars that's the easiest way, jacking it up and removing a wheel. Just make sure you use a jack stand, under the suspension, before doing any work. Working with a car on a jack is dangerous as they aren't very stable and the car could fall on you.How do I access the rear spark plugs on a 2002 Ford Taurus; 6-cyl.?Honestly, I do not know about the Taurus, but I think my 2001 Escape 6 cyl has the same engine. I had the same problem and we, unfortunately, had to have the manifold removed to get to the coils and plugs. I hope your mechanic is very nice to you and keeps it relatively cheap. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment