Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I get to the spark plugs in my 2001 mercury cougar?

If you have done the front 3 already, I would have to assume you already know to remove the spark plug cover. It is also recommended you remove the ignition coil assembly from the rear valve cover, and the water pump pulley cover (shield) for better access.How do I get to the spark plugs in my 2001 mercury cougar?get plug wrench

pull off wire [one at a time]

pull out plug....[right to tight,,,lefty loosey]How do I get to the spark plugs in my 2001 mercury cougar?You will need to remove the spark plug cover. First, carefully remove the elecrical connector to the cam sensor which is near the pulley side of the engine. Remove the accelerator cable running across the top of engine. Remove the cover plate. Each spark plug boot can be seen now. Twist and pull at the same time. Use Denso Iridium or Twin Tip plugs for best power and economy. Good luck!!How do I get to the spark plugs in my 2001 mercury cougar?I just did Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Wires on a 98 Cougar 4.6 the Plugs sit about six inches deep in the Head,If the old plugs were installed with Anti-Seize on Plug threads and Properly Torqued , The Job goes pretty fast; Remember When You install new plugs get 1/4 inch Vacum Hose about 6 inches long insert the top of plug into hose and start the plug by turning by hand the Hose Note prior to this put Anti-Seaze on the threads of new plugs;,also the Cougar and most Fords; The Cylinders Numbering System is starting at front of Eng. on Pass side,#1-#2-#3-#4and then go to front of Eng Left side(Drivers side)

is #5 #6#7#8; Two Coil packs on the 98 They are Numbered a Magnifying glass is good;The Man bought Motorcraft Plugs-that is Good--always use what the Manf. calls for;

The Spark Plug Wires were also from Auto-Zone-Durcraft;I finished started Car ran good for Twenty Mins, then started missing and died-my first thought well something I did I quit working on Car-about 10 P.M. that night,I started car let it run untill it started to Stutter,I raised the Hood took a close look at the Coils-The Boots, then I saw it, at least 4 Spark Plug Wires were breaking down with heat,next morning I am at Auto-Zone with 8 Sp.Wires in hand ,they replaced them at no cost;Installed and I drove to the 4 lane 70 M.P.H. no Glitch. I let it Idle I punched it a time or two;Good Road test;

No comments:

Post a Comment