Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I change the spark plugs on my 1999 Mercury Tracer?

No, I don't know the details about the engine. (It's an LS, the car, if that helps or matters.) Yes, I could take it to a mechanic if I had to, but I work weird hours and hardly ever have time available for that, and besides, I'd really just like to learn to do it myself.



Any help will be greatly appreciated.How do I change the spark plugs on my 1999 Mercury Tracer?Without knowing the specifics of the vehicle, and becaus eno-one else has tried to help you yet, I'll do my best. I assume this is the first time you'll be doing this job.



Pop-off the spark plug wires, one at a time. These are the (black probably) thick cables that seem to spider accross the motor. Under each one is a spark plug. If I remember the tracer corrdectly, it has a 4 cylinder front wheel drive motor, so the plug (and wires) will lead either to the verfy center of your valve cover, in a horizontal line, or just above your exhaust manifold.

Now, like I said, do one at a time so that you don't mix up wires. Pop off the far left cable (grab the end 'boot' and pull. Now, using a spark plug socket (it will be designated on the side as such, having a protective and 'sticky' piece of rubber in it) put the socket onto the spark plug. SLOWLY 9as to not break the ceramic plug) apply force counter clock-wise until the plug come loose (this may require quite some force). Now, 'gap' your new spark plug (call your local autoparts store if you need help). To install, use a piece of rubber hose and stick the end of the plug (the screw on metal and ceramic part) into the hose. Screw in the plug using the hose, so that there won't be anough pressure to strip the threads on the head incase you do it wrong. After you're sure it's in straight, use the socket and install it securely. To install, you the same size socket, only without the rubber piece in it (other wise the socket may become stuck to the plug). Tighten it snugly, very tight without stripping the threads. After this is done, 'pop' the plug wire back on, and move on to the next. 10 minuts later, you have brand new plugs, meaning more power and better fuel economy.



Don't get psyched out, this is an incredibly easy procedure, and with these instrustion you can now do it on nearly every vehicle produces since the '60s

No comments:

Post a Comment